Tofino, a small town on the western coast of Vancouver Island, is an incredible destination for travelers seeking adventure, relaxation, and a taste of the laid-back surfer lifestyle. With some of the best ocean front lodging and things to do, Tofino is bucket list worthy!
With its picturesque beaches, lush rainforests, and vibrant local culture, there is no shortage of things to do in Tofino. In this comprehensive guide, we will introduce you to the best pub in Tofino, the Bear Bierhaus, as well as some of the most exquisite ocean front lodging options, and a wide range of activities that you simply cannot miss while visiting this charming coastal town.
1. Experience the Best Pub in Tofino: The Bear Bierhaus When it comes to enjoying a refreshing drink and a delicious meal in a relaxing atmosphere, look no further than the Bear Bierhaus. Located in the heart of downtown Tofino, this west coast-inspired pub offers handcrafted food, a wide array of beverages, and a pet-friendly courtyard patio.
Not only is the Bear Bierhaus the best pub in Tofino, but it also hosts live music events and features large TVs for sports enthusiasts. With its welcoming atmosphere, friendly staff, and mouthwatering menu, the Bear Bierhaus is a must-visit for anyone exploring Tofino.
2. Unwind at the Finest Ocean Front Lodging in Tofino After a day of adventures and exploration, retreat to one of Tofino's exceptional ocean front lodging options. Two of the best choices available are the MAQ Hotel and Duffin Cove. MAQ Hotel.
The MAQ Hotel is a boutique hotel that offers guests a unique and intimate experience. The hotel is centrally located within walking distance of many local attractions and is home to the Bear Bierhaus. With its stylish and comfortable rooms, friendly staff, and convenient location, the MAQ Hotel is an excellent choice for travelers seeking a memorable stay in Tofino. Duffin Cove.
For those who prefer a more secluded and tranquil experience, Duffin Cove offers stunning ocean front lodging in Tofino. This resort features a variety of accommodation options, including cozy cabins, spacious suites, and luxurious ocean front rooms. Nestled among the trees and just steps from the beach, Duffin Cove provides a peaceful retreat for guests to relax and unwind.
3. Explore the Beautiful Beaches of Tofino Tofino is known for its breathtaking beaches, each offering its own unique charm and beauty. Some of the most popular beaches in the area include:
Chesterman Beach: Ideal for beachcombing, bike riding, and long walks, Chesterman Beach is divided into two sections, North and South, and offers stunning views of the ocean.
Long Beach: The longest beach in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, Long Beach is perfect for watching sunsets, surfing, and exploring the vast shoreline.
Cox Bay: Known for its consistent waves, Cox Bay attracts surfers and beachgoers alike. Enjoy a drink at the Long Beach Lodge while watching the surfers brave the waves.
Mackenzie Beach: A popular spot for inexperienced surfers, paddle boarding, and beach bonfires, Mackenzie Beach offers calm waters and stunning sunsets.
Tonquin Park: Offering boardwalks, hidden caves, and stunning views, Tonquin Park is the perfect family-friendly beach and is located close to downtown Tofino.
Remember to consult a Tofino tide chart and be aware of the current tide times before venturing out to the beaches.
4. Discover the Thrilling World of Surfing in Tofino As Canada's surf capital, Tofino attracts surfers from all over the world who come to experience its unique swells and cold waters. Popular surfing spots in Tofino include Cox Bay and Long Beach, where you can watch skilled surfers or learn to ride the waves yourself. Some of the best surf shops and schools in Tofino include:
If you prefer a more relaxed approach, try kayaking or paddleboarding on the calmer waters of Mackenzie Beach or Middle Beach.
5. Immerse Yourself in the Wonders of Pacific Rim National Park Reserve Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, located just south of Tofino, is a must-visit for anyone seeking adventure and natural beauty. The park covers over 500 square feet of rocky shoreline, dramatic cliffs, and stunning rainforests. Some of the most popular trails in the park include:
South Beach Trail: A leisurely walk that leads to a secluded beach and offers stunning views of the ocean.
Rainforest Walks: Traverse the lush, ancient forests and marvel at the towering trees and diverse plant life.
Shorepine Bog: A unique ecosystem featuring a boardwalk trail that winds through a coastal bog.
Radar Hill: A short, easy hike that offers panoramic views of the surrounding area.
6. Experience the Excitement of Whale Watching in Tofino Whale watching is one of the most popular activities in Tofino, with numerous tour operators offering unforgettable experiences. Some of the marine life you may encounter during a Tofino whale watching tour includes grey whales, humpback whales, orcas, sea lions, otters, bald eagles, and more. The best time to go whale watching in Tofino is between June and September. Some reputable adventure outfitters for Tofino whale watching include Jamie's Whaling Station, Ocean Outfitters, and West Coast Aquatic Safaris.
7. Hike the Stunning Trails of Tofino Tofino is home to a variety of beautiful hiking trails, perfect for exploring the diverse landscape and connecting with nature. Some of the best hikes in Tofino include:
Wild Pacific Trail Lighthouse Loop: Located in nearby Ucluelet, this trail features breathtaking cliffside views of the ocean and several scenic lookout points.
Tonquin Beach Trail: Ideal for wildlife spotting and discovering hidden beaches, this trail offers a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of Tofino.
Cox Bay Lookout: A short, steep trail that rewards hikers with stunning views of downtown Tofino and the Clayoquot Sound.
For a greater challenge, add Schooner Cove, Lone Cone, the crashed Bomber site, and Willowbrae Trail to your list of Tofino hikes.
8. Soar Above Tofino on a Scenic Flight Take to the skies and experience Tofino from a new perspective by booking a scenic flight tour. Atleo Air offers scenic flights around Tofino, as well as charter flights and custom excursions to destinations like Hot Springs Cove.
9. Relax and Rejuvenate at Hot Springs Cove For a unique and unforgettable experience, take a trip to Hot Springs Cove, located in Maquinna Marine Provincial Park. Accessible by boat or floatplane, Hot Springs Cove features steaming pools and the soothing sounds of the Pacific Ocean. Booking a tour with Ocean Outfitters or Atleo Air is the best way to visit this natural wonder.
10. Indulge in Tofino's Culinary Scene Tofino's diverse culinary scene offers something for everyone, from casual beachside food trucks like Tacofino to elegant oceanfront dining at Shelter Restaurant. Don't miss the chance to sample the local seafood, visit the Tofino Brewing Company, or explore the town's many coffee shops and bakeries.
11. Connect with Your Health and Wellness Tofino is the perfect destination for those seeking relaxation and rejuvenation. From spa days and massages to yoga classes and natural health services, there are plenty of opportunities to nourish your body and mind while exploring this coastal paradise.
12. Kayak the Clayoquot Sound Paddle through the calm waters of the Clayoquot Sound and take in the stunning scenery that Tofino has to offer. Tofino Sea Kayaking provides guided tours and rentals for an unforgettable kayaking adventure.
13. Embark on a Deep Sea Fishing Adventure Experience the thrill of deep sea fishing in Tofino with Tofino Fishing Adventures. Catch Chinook salmon, lingcod, Pacific halibut, and even the elusive Dungeness crab on a guided fishing trip.
14. Immerse Yourself in Tofino's Rich Arts and Culture Explore Tofino's vibrant arts and culture scene by visiting local galleries and museums. The Tofino Clayoquot Heritage Museum offers a fascinating glimpse into the area's history, while the many galleries featuring indigenous and local artists showcase the creativity and talent of the region.
15. Rainy Day Activities in Tofino Even on a rainy day, there's plenty to do in Tofino. Visit the Ucluelet Aquarium, indulge in a self-guided food tour, pamper yourself at a spa, or simply curl up with a good book from Mermaid Tales Bookshop.
16. Explore the Clayoquot Campus and Naa'Waya'Sum Gardens The Clayoquot Campus is home to the beautiful Naa'Waya'Sum Gardens, a 10-acre coastal rainforest open during July and August. Learn about indigenous-led conservation and enjoy a peaceful stroll through this unique and tranquil space.
17. Make a Difference with Voluntourism in Tofino Give back to the community by participating in voluntourism initiatives in Tofino. Visit the Raincoast Education Society to join events focused on education and rainforest restoration. With so much to see and do, Tofino is the perfect destination for unforgettable experiences. From the best pub in Tofino, the Bear Bierhaus, to luxurious ocean front lodging and an array of exciting activities, there is something for everyone in this captivating coastal town.